Translate

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Narwhals, Narwhals Swimming in the Ocean.


Causing a commotion, because they are so awesome…

Hello kittens! I’ve returned safely from my Missoula foray, and tucked myself into my bed. Things I am currently grateful for: clean clothes, That Cat, my amazing friends and fruit snacks (not the 100% juice kind, but the weird gummy cartoon shapes kind). I hope you all take time to notice the full moon tonight. I got to admire it at eye level while flying over Mount Hood. You guys, it’s been an incredible and exhausting six days.

I flew back to Missoula for a whole heap of reasons, including but not limited to missing my family, running an 8K and craving a Taco del Sol burrito. Also, it was my birthday. Also, I hadn’t seen my family since July, which is a crazy long time considering children grow faster than chia pets. They’re closer to becoming real human beings every day! Anyhow, this particular trip was full of ups and downs, per usual. For your reading enjoyment I’ve compiled a helpful list of holiday faux pas based on recent experiences.

Things to avoid:

·         Chewing so vigorously that you chip a tooth. Seriously, nobody enjoys celery enough to cause permanent dental damage.

·         Consuming back-to-back Thanksgiving dinners (unless you are spiritually and mentally prepared for extreme agony).

·         Sleeping on a leather couch. You will sweat, and it will be disconcertingly sticky.

·         Attempting to equally divide your time and attention between three siblings. Just don’t. You will fail.

·         Laughing when one little brother sprints across the room to throw an elbow into another little brother’s face for calling him a “poopy”. I know I shouldn’t condone sibling-to-sibling violence, but holy shit guys.

·         Crying during Twilight: Breaking Dawn, Pt 2. Not once, but several times.

·         Blaming aforementioned tears on K-Stew’s face rather than admitting you wish your ex-girlfriend was holding your hand. Except replace “holding your hand” with “being in love with you” and you’re closer to the truth.

·         Expecting your friends to be enthralled by any story containing the words “Netflix”, “kale” or “obese dachshund”.

·         Planning a 10am breakfast the night after your friends get tanked in celebration of your birth (and also pursuit of throbbing man parts. Gross). Should you fail to observe this suggestion, you will probably spend three or more hours at Uptown Diner.
[Sidenote: pineapple milkshake equals breakfast. Always]

Let’s get real for a minute, ok? I want to thank you all for an incredible week. Thank you for Nertz and homemade stuffing and Baby it’s cold outside… Thank you for leaving the proof out of the pudding. Thank you for hitting the high notes, and reminding me sometimes it’s necessary to dance crazy around the living room. Any living room. Thank you for laughing at my puns, and listening to my boring stories and holding me or not holding me while I cried, or didn’t cry but wanted to. Thank you for extra jackets. Thank you for elephant love medley and three rounds of pool. Thank you for macaroni and cheese. Thank you for the Worst Day Ever and the knowledge that today is not That Day and tomorrow probably won’t be either.

Today I turned twenty-four and last night (between serenading me and complimenting my muscles) my friend asked what my birthday poem would look like. This is what I came up with.

Lessons from my 24th Birthday
(A Poem for Magingo)

1. Don’t ask questions, just dance. When the music is playing, it’s playing just for you. Close your eyes. Feel the sound pound through your outstretched fingertips. Join the spinning of the world like a double dutch champion. Don’t be afraid. Jump in. The music is playing just for you.

2. Let yourself be loved. Cover yourself in layers of love like thick winter coats. Drape it across the holes in your self-esteem. Let it sink in: there will always be people to love you. Let them.

3. Sometimes the spotlight will just be the flash on a camera. Embrace it like the sun. Let it warm you from the inside. The pictures may be blurry, but they are lovely in the way only true things are lovely. You are lovely in a way that makes me believe in Truth.

4. Etch memories into your mind like names and dates scrawled across the tabletop of your favorite booth in your hometown bar. Carry the scars of your pleasure as proudly as your pain. Both are a badge of honor.

5. Sing every song in your repertoire. Sing with every muscle in your body, even when there’s no music. Especially when there’s no music. You are the music. There are symphonies in your bloodstream. There is a percussionist in your chest. Life only has a musical finale when you open your mouth to sing. Always sing.

This time last year I considered sleeping in the snowbank because I didn't think you'd miss me. This time last year I chased three beers with two Bloody Mary’s, chased two Bloody Mary’s with a bottle of blackberry brandy and met my family for a matinee I wouldn’t remember. This time last year I was lying in my bed, afraid to fall asleep because my heart was doing somersaults and I couldn’t get my hands to stop shaking.

365 days of learning later I am in my bed, in my city and for the first time in a long time I feel fully present in this imperfect skin. And I know in three or 30 or 365 days I will be able to come home again; to love and be loved in a way that makes the heavies disappear for a little while. Even if it is at Deejo's expense...



I adore you all so much I could burst! Sleep well, dreamweavers.

-b

No comments:

Post a Comment