Translate

Saturday, May 18, 2013

woogidy werschmirtle, and other things about my mother

[Dear friends/lovers/strangers/etc: please pretend this post was birthed in a timely manner? Shh, I won’t tell if you won’t.]


Happy Mothers’ Day, creeps! I hope you all celebrated in style. I messaged my mom this morning from the 2013 Portland Expo Alpaca Show.  Any event that boasts “500 alpacas, 200 alpaca ranchers and farmers and leading global alpaca experts” is so right up my alley. Alpacas are some of the strangest creatures on this planet. They’re like camel/dinosaur/teddy bears. Things I learned about alpacas: they’re related to camels, when they run it’s called “pronking”, and they are in fact edible. Ok, so that last one is an internet fact. We didn’t actually verify with any of the alpaca experts at the show. Also. If you make eye contact with an alpaca they may hum at you uncomfortably, because at the core we’re all socially-anxious creatures.


Anyways. That’s enough about two-toed camelid weirdos because this post is really about my mother (who is neither two-toed nor camelid). She is, in fact, a superhero because:

·         She successfully parents five children, myself included. To-date none of us have been lost, neglected or horrifically maimed. [Note: somebody knock on wood please, because we learned our lesson about superstition last week.]

·         Though she occasionally forgets our names she consistently remembers birthdays, favorite dinner preferences, and at least one daunting childhood memory to share with significant others (usually complete with photographs).
 
·         She inspired me to start running, and is the only reason I completed my first 5K. She beat me by a hair, but don’t tell anybody. I’ve got a reputation to uphold.

·         By the time I was four years old she had taught me all the lyrics to “Bohemian Rhapsody”, along with proper headbang technique so I didn’t break my neck.

·         She once owned a cat named Woogidy Werschmirtle, and has since encouraged me to call every cat by that name. It really rolls off the tongue once you say it enough times. 

·         Three years ago she decided on a whim to join my rugby team so she could understand one of my life’s greatest passions.

·         On a related note: she survived an entire Maggotfest with her dignity intact, which is more than most of Missoula can say.

·         She gave birth to an 11.5 lb. baby, at home, without any sort of painkiller. ‘Nough said.  
  
·         She drove 18 hours in two days to deposit me, That Cat and all our worldly possessions in Portland Oregon, enabling me to attend Alpaca Expos, and write this blog about living in a new place and meeting new people and having All Of The Experiences.


·         She somehow telepathically knows the days I am crying on my way to work and without fail texts or calls me just to say hello. Just to say she loves me.

My mum was 21 years old when I was born. If our lives were progressing along the same trajectory, I would have a 3 year-old right now. You guys. I can barely keep my 3 year-old cat alive, let alone another human being.

I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I think I turned out alright. And I’m excited to see the human beings my Littles turn into, because they were lucky enough to be homegrown by my mother too. So! Tell your mothers you love them, because you wouldn’t be here without them. And remember:


Cheers!

-b

No comments:

Post a Comment