Translate

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Somewhere Someone Puts All of their Faith in a Fast Car


This weekend I inexplicably had four days off, all in a row. So naturally I downloaded 100 new songs, gassed up the Biscuit and drove to Missoula. Something strange happens to me when I’m alone for too long, and 10 hours definitely qualifies as too long. I started talking to myself, and I’m pretty sure I hallucinated driving through several tunnels. I consumed one coffee, two Rockstars and an entire can of Pringles. I have never been in so much pain as when I had all that grease and caffeine rolling around in my stomach. I literally considered going somewhere to have my stomach pumped when I started to feel like the unfortunate host of an evil alien spawn clawing its way out of my body. But I made it! Now I’m sitting at The Break, sipping an americano and attempting to catch you guys up on my recent comings and goings.

First of all, did I tell you guys I got a job? Because I got a job. I’m now a fulltime receptionist for a local veterinary hospital. This means I get to spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week in close proximity to at least one other human being. When we’re busy things aren’t so bad, but trying to sustain conversation for that long is definitely not my strong suit. The people I work with are really fascinating though. Legitimately, there should be some sort of behind-the-scenes dramatic reality show. I’ve only glimpsed the surface tensions, but I’ma wager there’s a lot of hidden turmoil and I can’t wait to be fully exposed to it.

Also, Lo came and visited me. This pretty effectively sums up the week. Unfortunately, her trip coincided with my first full work week. I’m afraid I was a terrible host, mostly because I was either asleep or talking about how much I wanted to sleep 90% of the time she was here. However, we did discover The Delta, a restaurant which specializes in Southern and Cajun comfort food. At The Delta you can order a 40 oz. PBR and they serve it to you in a bucket of ice, like fucking champagne. What could be more comforting than that? Friend and Lo also found a gem called the Yamhill Pub. They have a sticker toilet, and the entire building smells like stale piss. Their bar food is all microwavable, including the lasagna.

[Note: this information courtesy of Lo and Friend, since I was still at work…]

Lo: Can I get some mini corndogs?
Sullen Bartender: Yeah, but it’ll take a minute. I have to warm up the oven.
      *Then they watched him pop a plate of mini corndogs into the microwave….

Lo, I know your visit wasn’t exactly what either of us expected, but I don’t regret a single minute. Take care of yourself, kitten.

My trip home was entirely fortuitous luck. Despite the fact that it snowed all week, I woke up Thursday morning to blue skies and sunshine. The office was unnaturally slow so my co-workers didn't have a problem letting me leave early. Even the traffic cooperated with me. Travelling is still a strange concept to me. The Biscuit is the first reliable car I've ever owned, and the idea that I can drive anywhere, leave everything in a different time zone, is still novel. There’s something thrilling about touching the ground in four different states in one day.

I was shocked to see the mistakes of each generation will just fade like a radio station when you drive, you’ve just gotta drive, out of range…

There are at least a hundred complicated and conflicting reasons for me to be in Missoula this weekend, but primarily I’m here for E. I didn’t tell her I was coming. I showed up on her doorstep at 2:30 in the morning. I swear to god, the look on her face when I opened the front door was enough to stop your heart. It was beautiful and pure and fleeting.

Nobody deserves a funeral birthday party. I hope me being here has made things a little bit easier. Happy birthday, honey.

There’s something unsettling about coming back to a place that used to be home. I’ve caught myself aching lonely for Portland already. I miss the green and the daffodils and the rain. I miss my noisy heater, and my roommates, and our house with the red walls. I wonder when things shifted, when my new city became home. It was all as natural as taking a deep breath.

And everything is easier than I had guessed that everything would be, even remembering the way who looked at whom first, anyhow dancing.

Last night I had dinner and drinks with E, The Velvet Fog (TVF) and J-Bot. I laughed until my stomach ached and my cheeks were sore. There’s so much history, we’ve shared so many drinks, stories and cigarettes. We’ve laughed/danced/cried together, discussed pasts and futures, politics and religion, dreams and nightmares. Sorry this all sounds so cliché, but you are my very dearest friends, and I wouldn’t be who I am without our shared history.

Also, we experienced this together. On the couch, eyes closed, holding hands together. I wept like a child.

So here I am, in a town that doesn’t feel like home, with friends who feel like family and a chest that feels like it’s full of rocks and broken glass. In two days I’ll get back in the Biscuit and leave this town. I’ll keep my hands on the wheel, my eyes on the road, my thoughts in my head and marbles in my throat.

Lucy, thank you for your moment of weakness.

-b

No comments:

Post a Comment