Translate

Thursday, December 5, 2013

I fell out of my stream of self-consciousness.

And I've got welts on my mind to signify all my accomplishments.

Hello kittens. While reading old posts for Throwback Thursday, I was confronted with an uncomfortable truth. I’ve survived this breakdown before. The last month or so I’ve been grappling with a disconnected déjà vu sensation. Or if not exactly déjà vu something in the vein of predestination; a predilection towards self-destruction. Two years ago, smoking on my porch she said I hate when you destroy yourself like this. Last year on my roof bumping elbows with the moon after a few too many nightmares. Two nights ago walking home after a poetry show. I cried because I was cold, and alone, and alive. I cried because I could.

I’ve survived this breakdown before, but never quite like this. They say You are more than the sum of your failures and Imagine yourself as limitless and so you will be or Shit has surely gone down, but said shit need not define you or your days and I love them for that and so much more.

Two nights ago stumbling through a car crash with the flashing lights and large men in heavy jackets bearing badges. A woman weeping on the corner and stars looking like the idea of stars. Like caricatures of themselves. I wanted to slip a piece of shattered windshield into my pocket. I’m adept at carrying wreckage. Instead I kept walking, and maybe I’m still walking, and maybe I always will be.

Now it’s Thursday and instead of throwing back I’m looking forward, because I’ve survived this before and I know there’s an end. I wrote this poem almost a year ago. I’ve read it seven times on three different stages; embedded it in my memory as a reminder that the only constant is inconsistency. The fever breaks. My hands become my hands again. I add another ring to the scar tissue of my memory. 

Anatomy of a Breakdown

Tuesday
The fault lines of your mother’s breakdown begin to
echo through your hollow bones,
your blood aches heavy with heredity
and slivers of purples.
Your hands will tremble for a hundred
years or more.

Wednesday
When the infection begins to spread, don’t panic.
Amputate and cauterize
before the gangrene enters your bloodstream.
Your heart will look
smaller than you expected,
laid out like a dead kitten
on the exam table.
Disregard the girl
lodged in the left ventricle.

Thursday
Time becomes mutable.
You might be cork floating,
a pulpy clot in the
cheap red liquid, you replace
your blood with gasoline
and search for a match.
You drink your dinner
and dream of feasts.

Friday
Pack memories into heavy
bodybags. Carry them beneath your eyes.
Remember laying your body
across the linoleum,
how she chewed the brittle crust
from the salted rim of your hipbone,
lapped tequila from the basin of your navel.
As the alcohol slid down your naked sides
you thought about open heart surgery,
wondered about the cavity
inside your chest.

Saturday
You want to ask the girl at the bar
if she found the poems
you tucked behind her teeth.
Her stranger’s hands rattle over
each knot of your spine,
you could be the ladder she climbs
into ecstasy. Your whiskeyheavy breaths
are prayers of deliverance.
In the morning
her naked back will be a foreign country
you explore with eyes/hands/mouth.

Sunday
Trace origami lines into your
arms and thighs so you never again forget
where to fold.
The moon surges tidal waves through your frame,
lodges shipwrecks (heavy with artifacts)
in the cove of your throat. There:
5 mood rings spitting purple,
a blue heron wing, the
scarlet cleft of a fish’s slit belly.
The moon asks you to be full with her.
Swilling down seawater, you
are left gasping.

Monday
You know the purple orange glow
of the night sky is just city light
refracted off the low-slung clouds
but in that instant it could be god.
Your mouth aches for butterscotch
but only tastes smoke and lighter fluid,
your lungs are low-slung clouds,
heavy with god and apocalypse.

Tuesday
self-inflicted wounds begin
to peel and flake.
Lodge the memory
beneath your nail beds.
You are growing a new skin,
days woven into spiderweb scar tissue.
Under the shower head, your sorrow
leaves you cleansed.
Grind saltwater exfoliant into
both cheeks
wake fresh-faced in the morning.

Wednesday
Splay your puzzle piece body
across purple sheets and
dare a stranger to cobble you
in her bloodstream.
Press your tongue against her scars
and wonder what she burned for,
press your stories into her palms
like offerings. Like prayers.
You tell her you’re a narcissist.
You tell her you’ve almost died twice.
You tell her, and tell her and tell and tell and…

I love you all so much more than you know. Thank you for staying here with me.

-b


No comments:

Post a Comment