Translate

Friday, August 31, 2012

My Heart Keeps Beating Like a Hammer


You guys, September starts tomorrow. How did this happen? I hope you all got the most out of your summers. Also, send me pictures of your adventures so I can photoshop myself into them and pretend I also got the most out of mine? A brief summary of my summer activities: approximately three days reading in the backyard hammock. That about sums it up. I’m not complaining, I promise. This summer has been about hitting my stride after my first (but not last) interstate move. And you know what? After paying my bills this month I’ll still be able to afford fresh vegetables. Hell, maybe I’ll even splurge on some fruit.

Double thumbs up to produce!  http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com

This past Monday I didn’t work. I could have gone to the lake with Friend and her little nieces. I could have gone swimming, eaten a big bear sandwich and napped in the sun. Also, for some reason said nieces were convinced I was going to show up and tickle them. Even though I am mildly child-phobic. Instead, I spent Sunday night heaving my guts out, hoping I wouldn’t die. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been sick before. Like the Thanksgiving I got the flu and spent three days alternately puking and watching the Alien trilogy. Or my senior year of high school when campylobacter had me eating jello for two weeks.

But Sunday was awful. Fetal-position-sobbing-between-dry-heaves-and-heart-palpitations awful. For the first time in a long time I wanted my mom, my Rubber Ducky sick pants and maybe a frontal lobotomy. [Note: a huge thank you to everybody who unflinchingly called me out on my hypochondriac tendencies. I’m sure in reality I was nowhere near imminent death.] Consequently, instead of frolicking about the lake on Monday, I dragged myself onto the couch and watched seven episodes of My So-Called Life. 90s bingeing makes me want a pair of overalls in the worst way.



Other than the grunge, my week has been pretty uneventful. Seriously, I’ve spent most of it tracking the progress of this 70 lb. dachshund. Yes, this is my real adult life. 

But! Excitement looms on the horizon. Things I am currently amped about:

·         A-Camp: This week our fearless cabin leaders sent out an e-mail introducing themselves and encouraging us to do the same. Since I’m an over-achiever, I was the first to respond with my bio. It looked like this:

I moved to Portland Oregon in February, but I'm originally from Missoula Montana. I've got my degree in anthropology/linguistics, which obvs means I work as a veterinary receptionist. I'm in the process of figuring out how to write and also still pay my bills. I played rugby for seven years before tearing my ACL. I have a cat named Murphy's Law. I'm currently reading White Oleander by Janet Fitch, but I have to read it in small doses or I feel overwhelmed. I wear my Chacos eight months out of the year. I love coffee, chocolate milk and any sort of potato chip. I get a little dizzy every time I realize how soon A-Camp is. In a good way, though.

Ohmygod I hope they like me. I’ll be spending the week with 12 other lady-loving ladies, all of whom seem legit. 75% of us own cats, so at least we’ll have something to talk about.

·        Lucy will be in this town! Things we will (probably) do: eat at Le Happy, stand in line for Voodoo Donuts, play hide-and-seek in Powell’s, picnic at Mt. Tabor, waddle up and down Hawthorne, eat bahn mi, visit the Bins… and so much more! Seriously stoked over here, you guys.

·        This will be happening. I get a little queasy every time I think about it, but I’m stoked to overcome my stage fright and share my words with the world. By “the world” I mean anyone who wants to come to the Marino CafĂ© on September 26th to hear me stutter into a microphone for 15 minutes. Also. They make delicious paninis. You’re all invited. 

That about sums it up, kittens. 8 hours at the Boulevard still stand between me and Labor Day weekend. So I will bid you fond adieu. Do you all have big plans? Will you eat s’mores and camp and make merry?

All my love, weirdos.

-b


No comments:

Post a Comment