Translate

Monday, October 8, 2012

A-Camp Day 1: California, Here We Come!


Hello kittens! Listen, I have something very important to tell you. I am an addict. Seriously, Breaking Bad has derailed my life. I took inventory today, and realized something’s got to give. I haven’t done laundry in a month, Murphy’s starting to look like a neglected meth baby and you’ve all been patiently awaiting my A-Camp stories. I’ve learned the hard way that addiction hurts everyone involved. Also, I’m pretty much convinced drug cartel assassins are secretly monitoring every move I make. Everybody on board? Let’s get back to it.

P.S. Thank you to everyone who relentlessly hounded me. This one’s for you… Ok all of them are for you.

Wednesday, September 12: Day 1!

Wednesday morning I dragged my body out of bed after two hours of not really sleeping. I stumbled around gathering last-minute camp supplies, mumbling and trying not to step all over Lucy, who appeared to be doing the same. My eyes were swollen and my brain felt like one of those weird growing bathtub toys. You know those sponge animal things that kids soak overnight and they swell into giant, slimy creature blobs? That was my brain.

ULOL came bouncing through the front door, fresh from the dog park and packed us into her car, because she’s wonderful and voluntarily chauffeured us to the airport.

Things I remember: delirium blur and tunnel vision. Airport security patting down my hair for razor blades. Lucy looking anywhere but me. The biggest quad shot americano, clutched between my sleepy hands. The woman behind the counter, like a young Meryl Streep. I wondered what she wanted to be when she grew up. I wondered if she ever wanted to be anything other than a woman behind a counter making airport breakfast sandwiches; if her friends ever told her she looked like Meryl Streep, and she laughed but also agreed. My hands shaking; thinking how big the veins looked, how close to the surface. Me looking anywhere but Lucy, rereading the same sentence over and over. Five minutes straight: The poet’s life is just so much crenellated waste, nights and days whipping swiftly or laboriously past the cinematic window.

90 minutes later, outside our gate: We haven’t lost anything you know.
      We haven’t lost anything?
      No, we didn’t have anything in the first place.

On the airplane and I’m curled into myself next to the window watching one giant wing flex, ready for takeoff. I pulled up my hood, made myself invisible and finally slept.

One ginger ale, a bag of mixed nuts and an indefinite amount of time later, we touched down in overcast Los Angeles. Lucy made it through the flight without hyperventilating and/or having me slip a Xanax into her drink. We taxied to the gate, listening to one very disgruntled man complain about how long it was taking to get off the plane. Personally, I could have stayed there another hundred years. My social anxiety levels peaked when the doors opened, and didn’t drop again until early Friday.

We gathered our things and also our courage. Lucy patted me on the head (literally, like a child or a sleepy puppy), asked if I was ready. I said yes, even though I wasn’t sure because not being ready was starting to feel exhausting.

The Autostraddle demi-gods had told us to gather in baggage claim to await our shuttles. You guys, I’m going to be honest with you. No amount of mental preparation takes away the inherent shock of encountering a sprawling group of lesbians. Lucy spotted them the first time we walked by, but it took three more passes for us to actually join them. I’ve never seen so many styles of flannel. Ukuleles littered the area. I felt out of place with my non-alternative lifestyle haircut. We perched on the perimeter of the group, trying to subtly observe everybody. I could identify at least three different types of mohawk from where I was sitting.

And then Gabby, Laura and Carmen were there! And they were real people, who wore clothes and had hangovers and wanted another cup of coffee just as much as I did! I’ve been reading Autostraddle for about a year now, following and admiring the fuck out of these women. Sitting in the Los Angeles airport, just existing in the same place as them felt surreal in a way I’m not sure how to explain. But there they were, taking our names and helping gather our things and shepherding us to the bus. You guys, I just can’t even.

Several hours, one coffee stop at Karen's Donuts and a dangerous, winding mountain road later we were thanking our stunned bus driver and climbing off the bus. Alpine Meadows greeted us with hand-drawn A-Camp signs and the first patches of California sun.

I promise I won’t leave you guys in the lurch like last time, but that’s all for now… I need to have a staring competition with the pile of laundry on my floor.

I love you, creeps.

-b

[Note: If you need more A-Camp, check out the official Autostraddle recamps]

No comments:

Post a Comment