Translate

Sunday, October 28, 2012

A-Camp Day 3: Gonna Go Crazy On You


The A-Camp saga continues…

Friday, September 14: Day 3

Friday morning Lu and I woke up with Motivation thanks to the Nutrition and Exercise panel. We suited up and braved the altitude for a morning jog. Turns out oxygen is an important thing. Also Alpine Meadows happens to be on the side of a mountain. Between the previous day’s sprinting and my weak little lungs, this jog was mostly pain.

After breakfast I felt equal parts restless and exhausted. None of the morning activities held any real appeal, so I grabbed my book and cycled between reading and popping in and out of various panels. I caught part of Lesbian Jeopardy, but mostly I drank coffee. I was holding out for the highlight of Day 3: Kickball.

Time for some history, guys. Grades K-8 I attended a small private institution known as Christian Assembly Foursquare Academy. The school was inside of a church, the same church my parents still faithfully attend. Every day instead of one recess we got three breaks, and your academic status dictated how long your breaks lasted. Fortunately, little b was a bit of an overachiever. For the majority of my academic career I had two 30 minute breaks and a one hour lunch break. Unfortunately, girls had to wear knee length skirts on the daily, and attend weekly chapels, on top of our morning devotions. Have you guys heard of Bible drills? I was routinely a Bible drills final contestant. It’s a real thing, ask me about it.

I've definitely heard this phrase used non-ironically. 
Anyways, we spent our breaks in the carpeted gymnasium playing basketball, or outside on the “playground”. Playground means fenced parking lot. Since parking lots aren’t conducive to contact sports (tag, soccer, football to name a few…) kickball was the game of choice. Some of my favorite childhood memories are from kickball. Also some of my most painful, like in 4th grade when 8th grader Andrew Kost kicked and the ball caught me so hard in the stomach it knocked me off first base.

So kickball was a blast from the past, and also just a blast in general. The teams were Red against Everyone Else, and I’m pretty sure my team lost. Also third base was a piece of bark we found. You guys, kickball is a big deal.

After kickball I more or less went my own way. I took a nap on a bench, ate a cookie and caught bits and pieces of the Coming Out panel, Formspring Friday and the Queer Women of Faith panel. I listened to all these incredible women, and I’m grateful I had the opportunity to hear their stories and experiences. Listen: thank you for your honesty, and your willingness to share that vulnerability. I have immense respect for you.

Post-dinner I needed to check out for a while. Once again with the processing and the feelings. So I headed back to the cabin with Lu to grab reading materials and decompress. When we got to the cabin, most of our bunk mates were there milling around. The big question: capture the flag, or hide somewhere and do introvert things? Our cabin opted out of the competition and into a silent reading group which lasted until well after the sun went down.

Photo courtesy of Christina, who is wonderful
Commence approximately an hour and a half of ladies calling us adorable and/or sneaking pictures of us. Yes, reading is sexy. Or precious. You know, whatever.

The final activities of the night were Fister Spit (the staff reading us things they wrote), and a musical performance by Hav & the Hav-Nots. The staff reading was mind blowing. Some staffers read familiar things. Laneia read one of my favorite posts from her personal blog, and Katrina taught us how to give no fucks. Carmen read to us from her private Tumblr, and it was my first real glimpse of Carmen. The first time I stopped and said damn, this girl is a superhero. Gabby read poetry that made me swoon, and also want to hug a lot of people I haven’t talked to in a long time. Riese read a piece from when she was younger, and poorer and living in New York. When it was over Lucy said “That’s you. You are Riese!” and I think she might be right. I mean, I hope she’s right.

After the reading there was this sort of stunned silence. That’s how it felt to me, anyways. I just sat there and rolled everything around in my head. I tried to find room inside me for all the things. Luckily, shortly thereafter Haviland was serenading us and Stef was playing bass in a captain’s hat. Alex Vega played the drums and Marni played guitar and they looked and felt like a family on that stage. And so yeah, all of the feelings from the reading were still there. But seriously, how can you feel bad when Haviland Stilwell is singing an 80s rock ballad and Marni is doing leg kicks? You can’t. You just can’t.

I’ma leave you with that mental image, because it’s such a good one. All of you who were there, you know.

All my love, daydream believers.

-b

[P.S. Shout out to Valencia! It was good to see you guys today.]

No comments:

Post a Comment