Translate

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It's the Freakin' Weekend: Pt. 3 (Sunday)


[Cheers to wrapping up last weekend about a week behind schedule!]

Sunday
               
Sunday morning started with birds singing and J1’s bicycle spokes clicking their way across the lawn. The weather was perfect for outdoor sleeping; all wispy clouds, light breezes and brief sun breaks. Piled high with blankets and pillows, the deck futon was entirely too comfortable. J1 came up the stairs and collapsed into our warm body puppy pile to tell us all about her Saturday night (at least the pieces she could remember). Eventually J2 surfaced with coffee and quiche. A gray cat cleaned her ears and napped in the tall grass. The half-naked folks on the other side of the fence drank liquor like it was apple juice and begged for cigarettes. J3 offered us mushroom caps, “just enough to make the world kind of shiny”, somebody passed around a pipe. I closed my eyes and let music pulse in my throat. I smoked cigarettes and drank coffee until my hands trembled. I blinked and it was 4 o’ clock.

C decided for her last day in town she would introduce me to Dots, ostensibly to see their velvet painting collection and meet a fella named Ruby. You guys, if you ever get a chance to visit Dots, take a close look at the 3D Spaniel painting. That one was totes my favorite. What I drew from this experience: C knows some strange and wonderful people, some seriously loveable weirdos. We passed the early evening playing pool, drinking whiskey and eating hummus. J1 flashed children. There was face painting, clothes swapping and spontaneous tree climbing. Somewhere in the middle of everything my mouth lost the ability to form sensible words, so I just smiled, just took it all in. I let myself ride out the tides of other people’s conversations.

Eventually we wrangled everybody up, piled into C’s car and headed back to the Craft House to drop off J1 before the poetry slam. I don’t know how many of you have attended a poetry slam, but I recommend you all look into attending one as soon as humanly possible. Some heavy contenders competed in this particular slam, including the man who basically created the Portland slam scene. For those of you who don’t know: a slam is a spoken-word competition. Contestants each recite a poem (these tend to have a lot of internal rhyme scheme) about whatever the funk they wanna, and the audience uses their magical powers of standing to determine the winner. Last beast standing wins a pretty princess crown, some sort of prize (for instance: a used Lite-Brite) and heaps of street cred. Ok, maybe not the street cred. But apparently there’s some sort of complicated internal point system and the winner will actually get to go to some big competition somewhere eventually.  Unfortunately, they got robbed… If you wanna give ‘em your money, they’ll take it.

This is my newest aspiration: to grow up and be a slam poet. I know, I know. Maybe not the most feasible plan and I may be donating plasma the rest of my life. But the feelings in that room every Sunday night, the degree of passion pouring out of those poets is fucking inspiration at its purest. They make me want to start writing and never stop. The poems I am currently working on address alcoholism, childhood abuse and Burmese pythons. Don’t even trip, I promise they will all be moderately bearable.

After having our minds metaphorically blown, our only logical last stop was Stripparaoke. By this point I was definitely calculating the hours of sleep accrued over a four day span and coming up ridiculously short considering the work week was set to begin in t-minus 6 hours.  My basic survival instincts found me standing on my front porch soaking wet, saying goodbye at 1 am. Thank you for walking me home. I’m sorry I didn’t get to hear you sing. I’m sorry I didn’t have the time you needed me to give, the words you needed me to say or the tears you needed me to cry. You’re going to be great, just let yourself be ok. Ok?

I love you all. Angels on your body.

-b

No comments:

Post a Comment