Translate

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Drink Liquid Clocks 'til I See God



This week I have been dying of the plague. My chances of survival have improved since Monday, when my throat may have been housing a baby porcupine. I've literally been on drugs this entire week. If I wasn’t at work staring miserably at nothing, I was home asleep in my bed. I’ve gone through 4 quarts of chicken noodle soup, a pack of soothing menthol cough drops, a combo Nyquil/Dayquil family pack and a box of Alka-Seltzer Cold & Cough tablets. I somehow managed to survive 34 hours of work. Don’t ask me how, considering I phlegmed on my phone headset Monday morning and thought I might be fired. What I’m trying to say is I lost an entire week of life to the strangely viscous reality stew of medicinally-induced sleep.

Will you take the Nyquil, or the non-drowsy Dayquil?
This morning I was bitching to a friend about my life and how little I’ve accomplished. I feel like I left Missoula ages ago, and I feel like I should be a much more successful human being by now. I mean that’s the point, right? Growing up, growing away, hitting my stride out here. I guess essentially I expected to be more. Once I wore myself out on that tangent, she very gently reminded me that I’ve only been in this town for three months. Oh my god, you guys. She’s right. I’ve only been in Portland for three months and three days.

This brings to light my extraordinarily warped perception of time, something I’ve always been peripherally aware of. I never really considered its pertinence to the way I view my life. I obvs know the solid time markers. Like that “last Tuesday” means the Tuesday that preceded the week we are currently occupying. Because time is a thing that we occupy, it’s a conceptual idea that we make physical by being present in it. Or something like that. You should know I’m not really scientifically oriented. I prefer the literary realm. I get more excited by dialects and etymology than genetics or astrophysics. But the scientific concept of time in and of itself is fascinating. Plus human perceptions of time and the way our cultures mark it? Mind boggling.

Here are some examples of the arbitrary ways I process time:

The other day refers to any time in the last 5 years. It could be “I was driving home the other day”, which completely works. You can infer that I drive home a lot, and I’m probably referencing sometime in the past week or two. Just as comfortably, I’ve been known to say something like “So I was talking to S the other day…” at which point my conversational partner becomes confused, because S has been in Africa for the past 7 months and has had little to no contact with the outside world.  

A while ago is similarly broad. I was supposed to be somewhere “a while ago”? I’m either five minutes or five hours late. Rarely but occasionally five days. Related to this: in a little bit really could be within the next five minutes! Unless it’s something I don’t want to do. Then it means sometime this week. Probably.

Forever really just expresses my growing irritation with a situation or activity. It doesn’t pertain to any sort of time measurement. Not even a little bit, not even at all. So when I say “Holy shit, it seems like we’ve been waiting forever”, we probably haven’t. We’ve probably been waiting the expected number of minutes for said activity (ex. getting seated at a restaurant or standing in line for a roller coaster). The length of Forever directly correlates to the amount of sleep I got the previous night, my blood sugar/alcohol levels and my personal excitability.  

Writing is inordinately hard today, like my headspace is all cluttered even though I spent all day today making sure my physical space wasn’t. By all day I mean the approximate hour it took me to do a load of laundry and sweep my loft.

On an unrelated note, I discovered this mid delirium. Seriously, go take a dose of Nyquil, wait 20 minutes and then look at this site.


I love you all dearly. Angels on your body.  

-b

[Note: Did any of you weirdos notice the eclipse today? I blamed it on the Dayquil, but it's just as likely some sort of weird astral energy contributed to my strange mindscape today.]

2 comments: