Translate

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I'm Like the Rain in a Downpour...


[Note: I did not in any way edit this stream-of-consciousness post...]

You guys, the past 48 hours or so have been significant, so I’ma subject you to more of my ramblings ahead of schedule. Also, Lo is coming to visit! Starting tomorrow! So this will probably be the last you hear from me between now and Sunday. Do you think you can make it that long? I’m not sure I can. Seriously guys, this has been the best outlet I’ve ever had. Thank you for enabling me, I couldn’t do it without you. Ok, yes I could. But it would be significantly less fulfilling.

It’s been drawn to my attention that I was a little nonchalant in my discussion of the weather yesterday. I know I mentioned a little bit of a storm… Let me elaborate. Yesterday being my final day of funemployment, I proclaimed: “Come hell or high water I’m going to see the coast tomorrow”. Apparently I shouldn’t have chosen a phrase that could be interpreted so literally. The beach I was headed to is about an hour and a half away from home base. I figured I would wake up, grab a coffee on my way out of town and be watching the waves roll in by noon or so. Was I dissuaded when I woke up to torrential rains? Yes. But clearly not enough to call off the mission. I had downloaded 90 new songs for the trip, and weather be damned I was going to see the ocean!

You know how sometimes you get an idea in your head and you stubbornly cling to it despite every indication that it will cause you trouble? Hmmm…

The first time I considered turning around was when I realized the rain had subtly shifted into a weird misty sleet/snow and the roads may or may not be icy. I was hesitant to test them because the Biscuit is shady even in good weather, and we’d already enjoyed a couple of good hydroplanes. The second time was when a semi passed me, spraying a sheet of rainwater over the entire front end of my car and making it impossible to see a goddamn thing. The third was when the bridge I needed to take was washed out. But did I turn around? No. Because I’m stubborn, and stupid, and in Montana tsunamis are as realistic as unicorns and the Truth Fairy.

By the time I rolled into Seaside my stomach was literally digesting itself. I decided to stop into a coffee shop, have some lunch and do some homework before heading down to the beach. This is where my previous post found us. What I forgot to mention is this: whilst sitting in the coffee shop I overheard these old men talking about the police barricades preventing beach access and a legitimate tsunami warning. People weren’t being allowed anywhere near the ocean because it could literally swallow them whole. At this point I realized several things: it had been raining for a lot of hours, it was going to be getting dark soon and I was a long, long way from home. So really, it’s a miracle I survived my adventure yesterday, and all I got out of it was a delicious turkey sandwich and the opportunity to listen to approximately 90 new songs. And a chance to talk to you guys about all the feelings I’ve been having lately.

I should also state that after all that Buffy hype, and the hours spent pouring over episodes and the wikipedia, Friend and I skipped trivia yesterday. Friend’s awesome big sister had tickets to a Saul Williams show and wanted us to get tickets too so we could be concert-goers together. I had personally never heard of Saul Williams. If you’re in the same boat as I was, watch him on Def Poetry. Having watched this video with Friend about 30 minutes before the concert, I was expecting something in this same vein.

He wasn’t at all what I expected. Standing in that crowded basement room I felt Music the way I’ve never felt it before. Music that cancelled out your heartbeat. Music that wanted to crack your ribs, cause your body to implode, leave a supernova in the space your breath used to occupy. You guys, it was Poetry. Also, Saul Williams is a total rock star.

On a completely unrelated note, today was my first day at New Job. I observed! I absorbed! I attempted to retain any single bit of information. You guys, I like to think that I’m pretty seasoned in all things dog. But today I watched a rescue greyhound get neutered. Apparently it takes a better person than me to “manscape” a dog’s penis and not be absolutely disgusted with yourself and your lot in life. It also takes a much stranger person than me to be able to eat a hardboiled egg whilst watching someone else manscape a dog’s penis. I expected myself to feel a little queasy in the operating room, because let’s face it, I almost pass out when I nick my leg shaving. All things considered, I handled myself pretty well. I watched a surgery, helped splint a cat’s broken toe and played with a golden retriever puppy. For the other 7.5 hours I mostly stared at a wall and thought about how much my feet hurt. I’ma chalk it off as a win.

Tomorrow is another big day! So I had best get myself to sleep. 
I love you guys. Seriously. 

-b

P.S. For the record, since I have been quoting a lot of really incredible people in these posts: anything in italics is not my original work. It is some snippet of inspirational something that I borrowed to reinforce whatever thing I was saying. If you want to know what something is from you're more than welcome to e-mail me your request, or leave me a comment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment