Translate

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

We Are Nowhere, and It's Now.


Another week has passed. I hope you guys missed me as much as I missed you… as much as I miss sleep, my friends, my family. As much as I miss snow falling silently in the dirty glow of streetlights. As much as I miss purple.

I’ve been sleeping so strange at night. Side effects they don’t advertise. I’ve been sleeping so strange, with a head full of pesticides…

My dreams have never been so strange as this last week. They’ve been so vivid I feel them painfully, if not physically. They seem to trail behind me throughout the day, like a kite string, or my breath in the cold mornings. I can’t quite shake them; they sit in the back corner of my mind gathering dust and suspicions. I’m going to share them in an attempt to exorcise them.

I dreamt about a man sitting beside me, holding a giant hunting knife. He asked if I was a realist or an idealist. I said I wasn’t sure. He swung the knife at my chest, and I somehow deflected it. He told me I must be a realist; an idealist never would have believed he’d strike.

I dreamt about my best friends from high school. You guys remember Florida? I miss you all the time. I hope your futures are sliding into focus.   

I dreamt about sitting in the backseat of a car with TR driving. We were trying to get to church because she’d left her keys there the night before. Lucy was leaving when we pulled up, wearing a purple bandana. She saw me and I felt like a ghost, or the idea of a ghost. Perhaps a dream. Something not quite real, or not quite human, I’m not sure which. Lucy, I still keep the idea of love on a chain around my neck.

I dreamt about flying a plane full of strangers. We crash landed on a yellow brick road that was mortared with the blood of children. These children staggered around with glazed eyes begging for us to hold their hands, while a ragged militia threatened us with rusty bayonets.

Why are you scared to dream of god, when it’s salvation that you want?

[Note: One time I wrote a poem to embody my dreamscape]


Children of desire                                                       your mouths are empty skulls
                                                                        droning wordless songs


Children of tomorrow                                                 you tear your clothes while
                                                                        the world laughs, laughingly


Children of revolution,                                               your voices dig wells
                                                                        for the thirsty to drown in

mother, your cold fingers tremble
brother, your breath stirs ashes in a stone hearth
father, your mind scavenges rotten ideas
sister, the bones rattle in your fist

while the sickle moon
     dances
          dances


Children of desire,                                                      your eyes are hollow sockets
                                                                        leaking sticky smoke


Children of tomorrow,                                                your future hangs bloated
                                                                        in the gallows of yesterday


Children of revolution,                                               your honeyed lips drizzle
                                                                        poison into hungry mouths

mother, your smile is on backwards
brother, your future swells like a black balloon
father, your life is a silver dagger
sister, your mind swallows infinity

still the sickle moon
     dances
          dances


Sorry guys, I promise my next post will be more informative. I really do have a whole heap of hilarious anecdotes and progress reports from this past week. Check back soon for my sense of humor, I'm sure I only momentarily misplaced it. 

So rest eludes me, now I’m back where I’ve already been. Waiting for the rain to start, looking at the sky.

I love you. 
-b

No comments:

Post a Comment